Search This Blog

Wednesday 30 November 2011

Post the Forty-ninth (in which we see the worst photo of the blog so far)

It really is quite bad.  Apologies in advance.  I'm staying in my mam's at the moment and my camera (as crappy as it is) is at home, so I'm stuck with phone pics for the time being.  The sad thing is that the blurry, out-of-focus, badly composed photo you're about to see is the best of the five or six pictures I took.  We're in for a rough couple of weeks on the blog, folks...

I will probably also have a battle on my hands to be let cook enough to even maintain the blog.  I've mentioned before that my mother never seems overly-keen on the idea of me cooking.  I think this is down to the fact that A) she feels like she should be minding me, and B) she is always secretly convinced that I'm going to poison everyone. Anyone who eats their steak bloody clearly can't be trusted in the kitchen...

I did, however, win the battle for the kitchen last night. It remains to be seen who will win the war...

Pork & Feta Pie - serves 4-6

500g pork mince                        500g pork chops, finely diced
250g feta cheese                        1 egg
Zest of 1 lemon                          Medium bunch fresh coriander, chopped
1 onion, diced                            1 stick of celery, diced
4 cloves garlic, crushed              1 large red chili, finely diced
1 tsp ground cumin                     10 sheets filo pastry
Salt & pepper                             Oil for brushing

1. Place the mince, diced pork, onion, garlic, celery, egg, chili, coriander & cumin in a large bowl.  Crumble over the feta, season well and mix everything really thoroughly.

2. Brush a rectangular baking dish (preferably metal, but it's not a deal-breaker) with oil. Lay five of the filo sheets in the dish, allowing a little to hang over the edges; brushing each one with oil as you go.  Press the pork mix into the dish and smooth over. Lay the other five sheets on top, again brushing each one with oil as you go.  Fold over the overhanging edges and brush the whole lot with one more layer of oil.  Stab a little cross in the centre to allow steam to escape.

3. Bake in an oven preheated to 200C for 40 minutes.  If the pastry is browning too quickly, cover loosely with foil until the last 10 minutes of cooking.  Allow to stand for 10 minutes before slicing into six pieces.  Serve with spinach salad, yoghurt and maybe some potato salad.


No comments:

Post a Comment